Code of Ethics
The values of The Wesley Clover Foundation (“WCF”) are described in this Code of Ethics and implemented through WCF’s internal policies and practices. These values and the Foundation’s commitment to the public interest inform and guide the actions of our board and staff.
Personal and Professional Integrity
The board and staff of WCF act with honesty, integrity and openness in all their dealings on behalf of WCF. WCF promotes a working environment that values respect, fairness and the highest degree of professionalism.
WCF has a clearly stated purpose, approved by its board of directors, to serve the public interest by providing information, advancing policy solutions and supporting civic life, all in the pursuit of the public good. WCF’s programs support that purpose and all who work for or on behalf of WCF understand and promote that mission.
WCF has a governing board of directors that is responsible for setting the mission and strategic direction of WCF, as well as oversight of the policies, programs, finances and operations of WCF. WCF’s board works to ensure that:
- Its board members have the requisite skills and experience to carry out their duties and that all directors understand and fulfill their responsibilities for the benefit of WCF and its public purposes;
- WCF’s board is responsible for the annual review of the performance of the CEO, including setting reasonable compensation;
- The CEO and appropriate staff provide the WCF board with timely and comprehensive information so that the governing body can effectively carry out its duties;
- WCF conducts all transactions and dealings with integrity and honesty;
- WCF promotes working relationships with board members, staff, grantees and partners that are based on mutual respect, fairness and openness;
- WCF is fair and inclusive in its hiring and promotion policies and practices for all staff positions;
- Policies of WCF are in writing, clearly articulated and properly adopted;
- The resources of WCF are responsibly and prudently managed; and,
- WCF has the capacity to carry out its mission effectively.
WCF is knowledgeable of and complies with all applicable laws and regulations.
WCF manages funds responsibly and prudently by:
- Spending a high percentage of its annual budget on programs that further the organization’s mission;
- Spending an adequate amount on administrative expenses to ensure effective accounting systems, internal controls, competent staff and other expenditures critical to professional management;
- Compensating staff, and any others who may receive compensation, reasonably and appropriately;
- Working to ensure that all spending practices and policies are fair, reasonable and appropriate to fulfill the mission of WCF; and,
- Ensuring that financial reports are accurate and complete in all material respects;
WCF regularly reviews program effectiveness and has mechanisms to incorporate lessons learned into future initiatives. WCF is committed to improving program and organizational effectiveness and develops mechanisms to promote learning from its activities.
Nondiscrimination and Inclusiveness
WCF has a policy of nondiscrimination and promotes inclusiveness. WCF forbids discrimination based on race, creed, color, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other legally protected status, and takes meaningful steps to promote inclusiveness in the recruitment, hiring, retention and promotion of staff.
As an institution that makes contributions, WCF assumes the following additional responsibilities in carrying out its charitable mission. WCF endeavors to:
- Foster constructive relations with charitable partners based on mutual respect and shared goals;
- Communicate clearly and on a timely basis with potential charitable partners; and
- Treat grant seekers and charitable partners fairly and with respect.
This Code of Ethics is, by necessity, general in outlining broad ethical principles for WCF. WCF is guided by it as well as by other relevant standards for the charitable sector when responding to specific issues not explicitly mentioned above. Questions about the policy can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.